The mining activities in Ukraine imply as a use of “subsoil”– a part of the crust, which is located under the surface soil and water reservoirs and extends down to the depths accessible for geological exploration and development.
Any legal entities and individuals (whether Ukrainian or foreign) intending to conduct exploration and/or
mining activities are required to obtain special permits for subsoil use - the “licenses” which entitle their
holders to carry out works within the determined subsoil plot.
The Parliament - Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine
the State policies with regard to natural resources
legal regulation of geological exploration and rational use of mineral resources
the State policy in the area of geological study and rational use of subsoil; issuance of licenses for subsoil use
THE GENERAL LEGISLATION GOVERNING MINING ACTIVITIES IN UKRAINE:
- the Code of Ukraine on the Subsoil;
- the State Program of Development of the Mineral Resources in Ukraine for a period up to 2030 (the Law of Ukraine No. 3268-VI dated 21 April 2011).
- the Law of Ukraine “On Production Sharing Agreements” dated 14 September 1999;
- the Mining Law of Ukraine dated 6 October 1999;
- the Law of Ukraine “On the State Geological Service of Ukraine” dated 4 November 1999;
- Resolution No. 615 of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine “On Approval of the Procedure for Issuance of the Special Permits for Subsoil Use” dated 30 May 2011; and
- Resolution No. 594 of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine “On Approval of the Procedure for Holding Auctions for the Sale of the Special Permits for Subsoil Use” dated 30 May 2011.
OTHER LAWS INFLUENCING ON THE MINING ACTIVITIES
- the Tax Code of Ukraine - taxation of the subsoil use activities;
- the Land Code of Ukraine - allocation of the land plots for the subsoil use activities;
- the Water Code of Ukraine - water use issues;
- the Forest Code of Ukraine - protection of forest resources;
- the Commercial and Civil Codes of Ukraine - rules and legal basis for contractual activities of mining companies.